Thursday 7 November 2013

Glee v Smash: Battle Of The Singers


Glee series 5 is on then off again (tres annoying) and Smash has come to an end for good.  I wish it was visa versa and Smash could continue for a few more seasons.

I’m officially over the Glee thing. The first few soundtracks were great, and the first season was fresh and original as Fame was before downloaded music but the sickly sweet taste of American all singing school kids isn’t my bag.  My Movie Mate doesn’t have Sky TV and if I didn’t have to record it for her I would have gave up after series 2. Let’s face it no series based in an American school will ever be as good as ‘Saved by the Bell’ and they didn’t even sing.

With Smash, there are big similarities, all singing Americans chasing their dreams of stardom. The adverts for the first season looked like Glee for adults which made me think twice about watching it. However there wasn’t anything else to watch on that particular night so I gave it ago and loved it, probably because I realized I too am an adult with dreams (luckily for the world my ambitions does not involve singing) not a teenage misfit.  It’s not cheesy, it’s classy and there isn’t many covers mostly originals and the soundtrack is excellent especially ‘Let Me Be Your Star’.

In Series 2, it seems American Idol rejects Katharine McPhee and Jennifer ‘blink and your miss her’ Hudson have more success in their careers than the actual winners of the British X factors. I can’t imagine Miss Hudson imprisoned in the Big Brother house or the Australian jungle or Miss McPhee saying ‘you want fries with that’.  Its more unlikely to be one of our British wannabes Pop Stars due to the fact these American singers actually do have the X Factor. 

So who would win the battle of the vocal chords? The girl next door chasing her dream of performing on Broadway, two great singers and Karen Cartwright doesn’t have much of an ego unlike Rachel Berry. So Rachel would kill for a part while Karen would concede defeat. Ivy Lynn might put up a good fight but my money would still be on Rachel. 

The leader of the packs Derek Wills is more Sue than Schu; maybe if Will Schuester and Tom Levitt teamed up together, the nice guys might not come last and bring down the Dirty Derek.

Then there is the final fight – the heavyweight round, not in size but in attitude and not with punches but with sharp tongues and excellent pull downs. Maybe Eileen would win on points knocking Sue down with her cold stare.

So as the curtain falls on Smash, Karen and Co you will be missed and hopefully not long before Glee goes too…or my friend gets satellite TV installed.

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment