Tuesday 12 June 2012

Jack Black Rocked My Socks Off! Tenacious D at 02 Apollo Manchester

Sunday night usually consists of a crappy reality TV show or a really good British crime drama, but Sunday 10th June consisted of heavy metal music, Jack Black, Kyle Gass, a squid and a giant inflatable penis. Yes Tenacious D was rocking the Apollo.



I had seen ‘The D’ 6 years ago at Birmingham NEC (aka LG Arena for non Brummies); they were very funny and followed the Pick of Destiny movie storyline and with it being December it was like an alternative pantomime with lots of swearing. It’s not every day you watch a band consisting of the Anti-Christ, Colonel Sanders and Charlie Chaplin.  This time around it was the same band without their fancy dress and the gig felt more intimate as the 02 Apollo Manchester is a lot smaller than the NEC and thanks to my mobile phone contract we was let in first and managed to get front row.  That’s right people – FRONT ROW!!! I love heavy metal music but I don’t mosh and being the wrong side of 35 surrounded by teenagers, the safety barrier was my new friend.
The D came on around 9 for their hour and half gig, the first 6 songs was from their new album Rise of the Fenix which I had listened to a few times before Sunday (Low Hangin’ Fruit and Roadie my favourites so far). But why is it when you don’t know some of the words you idol give you eye contact!


The it was back to the old stuff I knew the words to.  I loved Kickapoo and Kyle Quit The Band, but my favourites was The Metal as J.B was up close climbing the speakers  in front of us and Wonderboy as I’m sure he was talking to me.  You can’t have a Tenacious D concert without the amazing Tribute and the very rude F**k Her Gently.  My only negatives of the night were it was in Manchester and not Birmingham and that they didn’t perform Pick of Destiny (now my new ringtone – clean version).

I think with all my favourite TV programmes finishing for the summer I think this weekend will include School of Rock, Pick of Destiny, High Fidelity and maybe Gulliver’s Travels.
My socks was totally ROCKED OFF!!!




No comments:

Post a Comment