Sunday 28 October 2012

French Weekend - Part 1

199 days until Cannes Film Festival. 35 days since I left my favourite country and the company of Monsieur X and I’m feeling very sorry for myself. I don’t want to scrap the ice off my car; I want to be sightseeing in Provence again.  So instead of listening to my learn French Cd's or looking though all my photos of my travels to France, I decided to watch a few of my Frenchie DVD collection.  If I can’t go to France maybe France can come to me and my sofa.

Beautiful Lies
I wish I looked like the gorgeous Audrey Tautou, I wish I had the talent of Audrey Tautou, Damm I wish I was Audrey Tautou!
This romantic comedy about a girl who tries to help her mom’s love life by playing cupid between her mom and the odd-job man who has a crush on Audrey’s character Emilie not her mother.  It’s a sweet comedy, nothing I haven’t seen before but much better than the usual American rom-coms.  
As I didn’t really have to think too much during this film, I used these 2 hours as a French lesson.

  1. Read the subtitles and hope to pick up a few extra words to my très petite French vocabulary.
  2. Take notes on Audrey/Emilie’s simple tomboy but feminine style:  Short bedhead hair, skinny jeans and fitted t-shirts.
  3. Add Sete, the South of France to my Travel Bucket List. The beautiful marina setting would be an amazing place to live, after I have won the lottery.

After I went to Boredville City Centre for a short bedhead haircut and priced up the jeans and t-shirts in Gap.

French Film

‘I am a lucky man, lucky for three reasons.
Firstly because I am French.  
Secondly because I understand movies and third because I understand love…

...but mainly because I’m French’
Thierry Grimandi aka Eric Cantona.

So it’s not actually a French film but a British comedy. I needed to rest my eyes from all the subtitle reading. It was British humour at its best, but probably only the British would understand it. It wasn’t a piss-take of the French, I thought the joke was on us Brits and our inability to show ‘love’ and our different views of the L word too, and I thought my one experience of love was complicated.  I did watch it last month with Monsieur X he said it was OK and that he didn’t find it insulting - but he hasn’t spoken to me since so maybe he didn’t get the humour.
Hugh Bonneville was very good as the anti - love anti- French Englishman Jed and so was Anne-Marie Duff who played Sophie the gullible girlfriend of Hugh arrogant friend Marcus.  Then there is the reason I brought this DVD - Eric ‘the King’ Cantona who played film director Thierry Grimandi an over the top stereotypical French character who Jed was researching.  Whether Eric is a footballer, a detective (Switch) or an arty filmmaker – he just oozes cool.




Les Petit Mouchoirs

Back in September 2009, I went to visit Monsieur X, in another beautiful part of France, Lege Cap Ferret. During my stay, the filming of Les Petit Mouchoirs/Little White Lies was happening, and we did spent a few days cycling around the area looking out for the film set. All we found were high fences and people claiming to be friends of the actors or working on the film set.

I had to wait for 2 years for this film to be shown in the UK (it was worth it) and then another year until its DVD release and the opportunity to watch it over and over again.  Of course I love this film because of the scenery and my memories but the story is excellent as well. It’s about friendship and secrets showing all the characters highs and lows and it isn’t mushy like most American and British friendship/love story films and it is very funny.  François Cluzet is excellent as weasel hating stress head Max and my favourite Frenchie of the weekend Gilles Lellouche plays the hot Eric. To anyone who has seen this film, how many people to you think are actually trying the ’love/hate rice test’? I did think about it but I don’t think using Uncle Ben’s Microwave rice would work.
Excellent….and the soundtrack is cool and very overplayed. When I’m driving home in the rain after a merde day at work, I put these songs on and dream I’m driving around Cap Ferret it usually de-stresses me before I put my key in the door.

Cap Ferret 2009








Point Blank
Starring my Frenchie of the weekend Gilles Lellouche (a brilliant actor who just so happens to be hot) who played Samuel. Samuel was a married nurse whose pregnant wife was ready to pop. But like most loved up couples in the movie world, disaster strikes and his wife is kidnapped and he is forced to help a ‘bad guy’ to escape the hospital and his police guard. This leads to confused Samuel running around Paris trying to find his wife whilst working out who are the good guys and who are the bad.
84 minutes of pure action, No fillers!
 
 
I still have a large collection of French films to watch hence this weekend is only part 1, and I feel it is time to wipe the dust off my learn French timetable. Its time for more weekends of French immersion, roughly translated into sitting on my lazy arse watching more French films. In fact I haven't looked at any of my French books for over 3 months ( I blame the Olympics) and as my next trip to France will probably be without Monsieur X, my personal translator, it time to put my thinking cap on and disappear into my books.

 A l'année prochaine France!

No comments:

Post a Comment