Friday 26 October 2012

Jack Black Weekend

Comedy Genius, Rock God, Love of My Life….for a weekend.

Last weekend the man was in town playing at the Wolverhampton Civic Hall. I was too broke to get a ticket and I presumed it was the same show I saw in Manchester in June, when Monsieur Black and Señor Gass rocked my socks off!
In honour I had a Tenacious D weekend on the sofa (and a few Wii breaks – I haven’t forgotten my French healthy life plan).  Of course John Malkovich is my favourite all time actor but with all the arty stuff and serial killing exploits, sometimes I need laughter in my life so step forward The Black!

I started the morning with my third favourite all time film and my favourite all time comedy – School of Rock.  If Dewey Finn was my music teacher and Eric Cantona my French teacher I would be a Rock Star living in Paris now.  This film is 9 years old and I’m still telling people to ‘Step Off’. In my option and probably the Grinch and Child Catcher would agree with me, the kids in this film are actually very good and not annoying unlike most child actors.  Sarah Silverman is vile as Dewey's evil nemesis his best friend’s girlfriend Patty and of course the role of rock music lover Dewey was the role Jack was born to play. I wonder if School of Rock 2 will ever be made.
 
I had a short break before my duties as my sister’s unpaid taxi driver (listening to Rize of the Fenix much to her friend’s annoyance), enough time to watch Friends Series 9 episode 15 ‘The One With The Mugging’ starring the brilliant musician and straight man in this comedy ‘Rock-God’ double act Kyle Gass, who played Phoebe’s friend who mugged Ross.  

Back to the sofa and next was High Fidelity: I love Barry; he is my dream (fat) man. He isn’t in the film much but he does steal all the scenes as the rude record shop co-worker.  Barry is the Usain Bolt of comebacks…he is so quick! And Sonic Death Monkey would be a close behind Tenacious D in the ultimate Jack Black Band.
 

Half way thought the day and time for more music, with Tenacious D's Pick of Destiny, sometimes when I watch this I think is this what Bill and Ted would be like middle-aged. Pick of Destiny is my joint favourite musical along with South Park the Movie (Uncle F**ker a musical masterpiece). Not much of a storyline, but who cares it’s the history of Tenacious D, a good film to watch when you want to rock and relax - Nothing to think about.

Early evening now, could I squeeze one more before Wannabee Factor? ‘That’s my condish!’ Gulliver’s Travels is a funny family film and after hours of swearing and rocking in Pick of Destiny it was a nice change.  I did watch this in 3D at the cinema, the only bit of 3D I remember was Jack's belly coming out of the screen.  I don’t remember reading the book, but I’ve seen a few TV programmes or films in my life to understand the story and even thou this version was very good, I don’t remember previous Gullivers singing ‘WAR’ at the end of it. As a wannabe travel writer, I don’t think I will be taking any advice from Jack’s Gulliver – this film is NOT a How to Manual.
Ok this isn’t the Gulliver’s Travel trailer, but it’s very funny.

Yes -this review is very biased but Jack Black isn’t free from a crap film or two – Margot at a Wedding and Envy: hours of my life wasted and the DVDs will be heading to eBay very soon.
Sunday
No time for movies, as I was stalking Tenacious D outside the Wolverhampton Civic Hall. It wasn’t a wasted day as I did meet Tenacious...or maybe it was D.  Jack why didn’t you come and meet the fans? And Kyle thank you for being so cool and spending time with your paying public.


No comments:

Post a Comment