Thursday 6 February 2014

England through the eyes of a Frenchman - London Part 2 - Central London in a day!!

Our last full day together and I wanted to squeeze in as much as possible I wanted Monsieur X to see as many famous landmarks as possible. The weather was on my side that day as trying to please Monsieur X can be hard and I hadn’t booked our coach to Stansted Airport so all we had to do was get to Victoria Coach Station before the ticket office closed at 10pm.  After breakfast and stocking our rucksacks with fruit we retraced our steps Gherkin, Tower of London and Tower Bridge then passed them for a third time on an open top Big Bus Tours bus (a French couple gave us their £30 tickets as they were leaving that day). 

 


We hopped off at the London Eye and walked around Parliament Square taking many photos of House of Parliament, Big Ben and Westminster Abbey then headed to Trafalgar Square via Whitehall passing Downing Street. Stopping for lunch at a nearby Pret-A-Manger and I gave Monsieur X a history lesson on Lord Nelson Column ‘it to remember when the English kicked Napoleon’s ass’. It had been years since I had visited the square and it isn’t the same without the pigeons.

Very french
 


Lunchtime over and we were running out of time. We wanted to catch the last Big Bus Tour (5.30pm) to get to Piccadilly Circus but we still hadn't seen Buckingham Palace yet.  Usually this is a simple route – a straight ten minute walk down the Mall but Monsieur X veered off to St James Park.  I think he was more interested in the ducks and pigeons than the park and the Mall.  At the Palace the guards were changing shift, to me and probably fellow other Brits it was just a change of shift to Monsieur X and other foreign tourists it was a video clip and photo opportunity.

We caught the last Big Bus Tour bus at 5.30 at Piccadilly/the Ritz passing Hyde Park, Park Lane, Marble Arch, Madame Tussauds, Regent Street and Oxford Circus (drooling at the window display of my favourite shop – Niketown) before we got off just before Piccadilly Circus and recharged our batteries with a beer at the Glassblower on Glasshouse Street. Monsieur X wanted to visit Covent Garden so we walked though Leicester Square and round in circles for about 10 minutes trying to find Covent Garden in the dark and by now I was tired, him not so much. Finally found it round 7pm and after he watched a mime artist while I watched the time, dinner was at the Globe pub on Bow Street near the Royal Opera House. It was my favourite meal of the weekend (mmm lasagne) because I was so hungry.
So time to go home (well the Airport Hotel), tube from Covent Garden Station to Victoria and then another 5 minute walk (felt like an hour Je suis fatigue) to Victoria Coach station. We took the 9.30 coach to Stansted and this even though google maps says it only one hour away it took around two, one hour to get out of central London and another on the motorway.

Central London:  ‘So much to do here’… ‘oui I confirm top rep and guide! Merci’
My observations of this weekend: Birmingham isn’t too bad, the majority of the bars we went to were Wetherspoons and Blackpool doesn’t have any foreign tourists as we couldn’t find a bureau de change.

Next morning we went our separate ways, Monsieur X to his beautiful Provence and me to grey Birmingham.  I think he enjoyed his visit…but we haven’t spoken much since, I really need to work on my tour guide skills.  Here comes the Sun! And the moment he left Stansted he took the sun with him.

No comments:

Post a Comment