Tuesday 6 March 2012

Mad Dogs - Te Amo Ibiza

Every time I watch Max Beesley, I always think about the Take That concerts back in the early 1990’s, seeing him banging away on his bongos.  So with a very small Take That connection and Philip Glenister – the coolest British dude in TV land Mad Dogs was obviously going to be good.  I didn’t think ‘the Dogs’ could come back for a second series. I thought the boys would live happy ever after back home with their stolen Euros.  So very excited when the second series started, more excited when it was set on my favourite Island Ibiza (even thou most of the drama is filmed in Majorca). 

Oh I so miss Ibiza .Three summers on the white island were brilliant, made new friends, fell in love, damaged my liver and aged about 10 years due to drinking too much, lack of sleep and lack of sunscreen.  I lived and worked in Ibiza Town but spent most of my time in the West End, San Antonio and Playa den Bossa. My West End memories included drunk dancing with my friends most nights (my Scottish pals made me do it), meeting Monsieur X by actually falling into his arms (too much Blue WKD that night) and my Playa Den Bossa memories consisted of drunk singing in Murphys Bar (whisky in a jar-o is my personal favourite) and usually dealing with the after effects of the drink by walking it off at 4am (bar to home around 3-4 km would take me an hour –ish) or spending my day off nursing my headache on the beach.  This was the Summer of 2003 and 2004, I was there for Summer 2005 but by then I had enough of the long hours, crap pay and paying 5€ for a ‘cheap’ alternative to Smirnoff ice.

It’s still my favourite destination and a few years ago I went back for Radio 1 weekend, it had changed – new Bus Station, few new shops and bars, but when I returned to the same San An Heavy Metal Bar, I basically lived in for 3 years it wasn’t the same. It was the same staff, decoration, music but not the same vibe.  Then on the 2nd August 2009 (4 years to the day I met Monsieur X in there) I finally realised I had grown up a bit and moved on. Or maybe it was because I was only there for 3 nights and could only party for 2 of them that might have had something to do with my decision that I had become a little more mature.

Te Amo Ibiza – I’ll be back


No comments:

Post a Comment